AA Anniversary Edition Comments and Questions!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AA Anniversary Edition Comments and Questions!

Post by SwampHQ on Mon 08 Dec 2008, 15:27

Here is the latest forum for anyone may post their new experience of the new AA Anniversary Ed. game, playablity, likes, dislikes, tournament play possibilities and the like: Fire away. I would like to know what you think...

Peace,
confused Idea

Greg Smorey
Axis & Allies EO/GM - ORIGINS/GENCON/SPRING GATHERING
http://www.headlesshorseman2.com/
A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. - General George S. Patton
SwampHQ
Admin

View user profile http://aaswampform.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

rule questions!

Post by Pallantides on Thu 08 Jan 2009, 14:48

Hey Greg grats on your credit for playtesting!

I have two quick questions about rules that I probably just missed.

First in a sub vs sub battle-is there a battle at all or can the defender sub submerge before the attacker fires?

Second I have a big question about rocket launchers (tech). There is a rule stating that AA guns can only fire once per plane regardless of how many AA guns in a province, but I see no rule limiting the number of rocket launchers.

So what I what to know is it legal to load up on rocket launchers in a province? Would each still get to fire a shot regardless of the fact that there were 4 in one province? I definately saw nothing in the book but I know there are probably faqs and addendums out there on the web I don't know about.

Thanks
Dan

Pallantides

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re: Rules Questions

Post by MatildaMike on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 14:36

Pallantides wrote:Hey Greg grats on your credit for playtesting!

First in a sub vs sub battle-is there a battle at all or can the defender sub submerge before the attacker fires?

Second I have a big question about rocket launchers (tech). There is a rule stating that AA guns can only fire once per plane regardless of how many AA guns in a province, but I see no rule limiting the number of rocket launchers.

So what I what to know is it legal to load up on rocket launchers in a province? Would each still get to fire a shot regardless of the fact that there were 4 in one province? I definately saw nothing in the book but I know there are probably faqs and addendums out there on the web I don't know about.

Thanks
Dan

Dan,

With regards to the sub vs sub. While I could be wrong, I believe that BOTH the attacker and defender have the option to submerge BEFORE any dice are rolled (assuming no destroyers) - this is stated in the rulebook in the section about Subs (I think). The attacker decides first, then the defender. So - if I attack your sub with a sub of my own, you can submerge before I roll dice to attack it - if you choose.

As for the AA guns, I think this may have been addressed in the FAQ on Avalon Hill's web site (sorry, do not have URL handy). However, in summary, it does not matter how many AA guns you have in a territory - you get to shoot at a plane only one time (per plane). So, if I am being attacked by 2 fighters in a territory with 3 AA guns, I still only get to roll two dice - one for each fighter. This same restriction applies to using AA guns for rockets. Only ONE of your AA guns (that you own) in a territory can fire a rocket. AND - an IC can only be shot at by ONE AA gun per country turn (so, say in UK there is a UK and a US AA gun and they both have rockets - the UK can shoot ONCE at the IC in Germany on their turn, and then the US can shoot at it once on their turn).

HTH!

MatildaMike
MatildaMike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AA Anniversary Edition Comments and Questions!

Post by SwampHQ on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 15:00

Pallantides wrote:Hey Greg grats on your credit for playtesting!

Thanks
Dan

Dan,

Mike is right on both of these...as for the subs:

Submarines are capable of moving undetected due to
their ability to submerge. For this reason, they have
special movement rules. A submarine may move
through or into a sea zone containing enemy warships
during either the Combat Move or Noncombat Move
phase. Unlike other sea units, a submarine may end its
noncombat movement in a hostile sea zone. However,
if a submarine enters a sea zone containing an enemy
destroyer, its movement ends immediately.
This ability of submarines to avoid detection
also allows enemy ships to ignore their
presence. Any sea zone that contains
only enemy submarines does not stop the
movement of a sea unit. Sea units ending
their combat movement in a sea zone
containing only enemy submarines may
choose to attack them or not. Sea units may
also end their noncombat movement in a sea
zone containing only enemy submarines.

I am still working on the other but that is the rule...you can place 5 AA guns in a territory but you still only get one shot per plane...

Peace,
GS Idea

Greg Smorey
A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. - General George S. Patton
SwampHQ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pallantides on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 15:05

Thanks for the answers guys.

I pretty much assumed that was the answer on the subs.

As for the other remember I'm not asking about AA shots-I'm asking only about the rockets. There really is nothing in the official book that limits one rocket shot per factory. That was a rule that was used in revised though. I'm just wondering because in a game I was just testing Germany got rockets and has one in France, Germany and Karelia. I didn't even think I was limited to only one shot on England from the 3. Honestly, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the bomber rules. However, it did make sense that there would be no more than 1 shot from a territory (although again there is nothing about that in the book either).

Pallantides

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SwampHQ on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 15:31

Dan,

Yeap...it is one/single...

Peace,
Greg

Greg Smorey
SwampHQ
Admin

Back to top Go down

ae

Post by jerdnn on Wed 25 Feb 2009, 11:47

We have played about a dozen AE games (41 set-up, with bonuses/techs) and we have determined that Axis have a HUGE advantage with this set-up. America is very weak versus Japan and it takes VERY smart Russian play to win with Allies. I have turned germany back on only two occasions, the first using concentrated English threat (at the cost of british empire) and the second using hard-thought russian troop movement. No matter the strategy, America is totally useless in the pacific by turn 3, along with Japan taking Australia AND India on or before turn 3, if Japan is smart. We play this sort of game over and over, and the Allies can still win this sort of game... if they have several turns to stall and regroup. Tournament play however can't give Allies turns to stall. 42 set-up might be better, though we haven't tested this game. If 41 set-up is used, it might be better to discount bonuses, if only to counter-balance the huge axis advantage that we believe exists.

jerdnn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

AA50

Post by SwampHQ on Wed 25 Feb 2009, 19:30

Jerdnn,

Yeah, the one thing we can pretty much count on is using 1942. '41 is way to overloaded to the Axis, especially in a time framed game...

Thanks for the comments...

Peace, Exclamation

Greg Smorey
SwampHQ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top