What Games would you like to see played at this years CON's?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What AA Games Would You Like to Play at GEN CON/ORIGINS/Spring Gathering VIII?

20% 20% 
[ 32 ]
15% 15% 
[ 25 ]
6% 6% 
[ 10 ]
23% 23% 
[ 37 ]
15% 15% 
[ 25 ]
10% 10% 
[ 17 ]
5% 5% 
[ 8 ]
2% 2% 
[ 3 ]
1% 1% 
[ 1 ]
3% 3% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 163

What Games would you like to see played at this years CON's?

Post by SwampHQ on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 15:27

With the advent of all the new games, what AA game(s) do you want to play this year at GEN CON/Origins/Spring Gathering VIII?

Also,
for GEN CON, would you still like to see the Masters Tournament and if
so, what game should be played for this event? What kind of format
should be used? How many people/teams should be included?

Should Origins still be a qualifier for GEN CON and if so, what game, as well, should be played at Origins?

Thanks for your input.

Peace,

Greg Smorey
Axis & Allies EO/GM - ORIGINS/GENCON/SPRING GATHERING
http://www.headlesshorseman2.com/
A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. - General George S. Patton
SwampHQ
Admin

View user profile http://aaswampform.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What Games would you like to see played at this years CON's?

Post by questioneer on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 18:16

Hey good to hear from you Greg- its sure been a while it seems. Well, I have prior engagements for GenCon. Origins is a slim maybe...so take my opinion for whatever its worth.

Anyway, if I do go to Origins, I would would replace AA42 over Revised and Classic, keep AA50, and of course the AA40 games.

Masters- don't really think you need one or have the room for it with so many games. I thought AA50 would have grown into THE premier game- now its obvious that the global AA40 games combined will be THAT game.

However, there are complications with this. One, the Europe 40 game will have been barely out (May/June 2010) and how will you time the rounds in the global game??? If AA42 is 4hrs a round and AA50 needs 6hrs, what will AA40 (global game) need??? 8hrs??? You might need 3 player teams- an extra guy to help speed things up.

You already know my opinion for AA42, AA50 and now the AA40 games:

1. Play "open" games at any time of the day and try to get as many wins as you can over the gaming con. (You have applied this method to many of the contests already)

2. PLAYERS should determine the parameters (Tech or No Tech, Nat Obj or No Nat Obj, 41 vs 42 etc) through agreement- if not, then teams just need to find others to play. They can choose to roll for these parameters or bid if they want also.

3. Top 2 winners of "open" game categories (best records and IPCs) goes to the finals for that particular game on Sunday.

These guidelines will allow for the most freedom and simplicity in running the tournaments.

Personally, I would come to play the Global AA40 game and maybe AA50 and AA42 a little.
AA40 and AA50 take so long though that I really don't think a "bracket" tourny will work with these games.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents

Questioneer
questioneer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KurtGodel7 on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 20:14

SwampHQ wrote:
Also, for GEN CON, would you still like to see the Masters Tournament and if so, what game should be played for this event? What kind of format should be used? How many people/teams should be included?

In answer to your first question, my brother and I are significantly more likely to attend this year's Gen Con if there's a Masters Tournament. We came in second the last time around; so there's considerable emotional appeal to trying to come in first this time through.

In answer to your second question, I realize that Avalon Hill is exerting pressure to get rid of Revised in favor of some newer game. I have no strong objections to using either AA42 or AA50 for the Masters Tournament. Of the two, implementing AA42 might cause fewer complications. It's closer to Revised and games are a little shorter. But AA50 is the better game. The question of which game to choose could be argued either way, and I'll support whichever decision you make.

The one thing I'll add is that if strategic bombers cost 12, fighters should be allowed to participate in a defensive role against SBR raids. (Much like you did in the most recent AA50 tournament.)

Edit: there's one issue I should have addressed earlier: the question of how one can qualify for the Masters Tournament. One way to argue it is that it's best if whatever game is used in the Masters is also used as the qualifying game to get in. The counterargument is that it's useful to legitimize various games (AA42, AA50, and the combined version of the new Europe and Pacific games). While there is truth to both ways of looking at it, I ultimately feel it's more important to legitimize the multiple games that are out there than it is ensure that people get into the Masters by playing one specific game.

That would mean that of the eight slots in the Masters, four should go to the best people from the previous year's tournament, with the other slots allocated to the winners of tournaments (AA42, AA50, etc.). Then the eighth slot can go to the winner of Origins, unless you decide that there are four tournaments which each deserve to have their winners represented in the Masters.

I think that two person teams make sense, given the number of people likely to attend. Three person teams would probably mean too few teams, and wouldn't work anyway for a game like AA42.

KurtGodel7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for the comments...

Post by SwampHQ on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 09:59

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Keep'em coming.

There is going to be a lot of great material here to digest so, as it applies and once I have enough responses to make some sort of comment, I will do so...

As to the specific games at this time, again, thanks for the input and I will make comment when needed...

As for the Masters, I would like to see it happen because that group of gamers do, in some cases, make the trek just for that, and I want to be able to keep something as a pinnacle event for all to try and to achieve. Kind of that goal to shoot for...when we have something like this, it keeps people coming back...

Just a thought for now...

Peace,

Greg Smorey
A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. - General George S. Patton
SwampHQ
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Question Regarding How to Play AA at GEN CON

Post by SwampHQ on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 14:47

Guys,

I am currently
drafting up the schedule for AA games for this coming year; the schedule is due
on Jan. 29th so I don’t have a lot of time, go figure but what I
wanted to bounce off you guys is:

With the AA1940 World game being out
by then, how many (a wild guess) do you believe will want to play this at GEN
CON (and it doesn’t necessarily have to be you)? Also, of those do you think
having a tourney would be a good idea, something fun to consider? Something
like 8 hour games have four qualifying round on Thurs and Fri and the semi on
Sat and Final on Sunday? And for those that helped play test it, do you think
that 8 hours is enough time? Also, when playing, would you want to play with 2
per side or 3? And if 3, would you determine a winner for one side as 3 or a
single victor? Something like the one that increased his production the most
from the start and must be on the winning side?

Next, it is looking more and more
like we will forgo the Masters this year but still have the AA50 & AA 1942
(the new Mega so to speak) and the same formats…plus AA games of the new Pacific
and Europe 1940 separately, Guadalcanal, Bulge and D-Day. I will be dropping
the old pacific and Europe games all together as well as AAR. Oh, we will have one classic 2nd Ed.
tourney again…

I know, don’t yell…but just trying
to get some feedback here…I also plan on posting this on the SmampForum but just
wanted to let you guess know what was up.

Thanks for your time and
consideration.

Greg Smorey
SwampHQ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by questioneer on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 18:18

SwampHQ wrote:Guys,

I am currently
drafting up the schedule for AA games for this coming year; the schedule is due
on Jan. 29th so I don’t have a lot of time, go figure but what I
wanted to bounce off you guys is:

With the AA1940 World game being out
by then, how many (a wild guess) do you believe will want to play this at GEN
CON (and it doesn’t necessarily have to be you)? Also, of those do you think
having a tourney would be a good idea, something fun to consider? Something
like 8 hour games have four qualifying round on Thurs and Fri and the semi on
Sat and Final on Sunday? And for those that helped play test it, do you think
that 8 hours is enough time? Also, when playing, would you want to play with 2
per side or 3? And if 3, would you determine a winner for one side as 3 or a
single victor? Something like the one that increased his production the most
from the start and must be on the winning side?

Next, it is looking more and more
like we will forgo the Masters this year but still have the AA50 & AA 1942
(the new Mega so to speak) and the same formats…plus AA games of the new Pacific
and Europe 1940 separately, Guadalcanal, Bulge and D-Day. I will be dropping
the old pacific and Europe games all together as well as AAR. Oh, we will have one classic 2nd Ed.
tourney again…

I know, don’t yell…but just trying
to get some feedback here…I also plan on posting this on the SmampForum but just
wanted to let you guess know what was up.

Thanks for your time and
consideration.

Again Greg, take my opinion as just a suggestion because I will not be able to attend this year. That being said if I was going to go or just something to look forward to next year, I would like to see a tourny in that set up that you suggest for the global game- it would definitely have to be a SE tourny.

I think 8-hours is enough and I would allow 2-3 players teams to ensure things work out smooth as far as having the extra brain to help move things along (Although in some cases, having 3 brains may prolong the turns- depends on group I guess).

The rest of the schedule looks great! Amazing to see that "Classic" is still going!!! Must have some old-timer die-hards out there. I loved Classic when I was 11, but come on, get with the times!!!

For all the AAgames- specifically AA50, P40, E40, A42- I still strongly agree that you should let the "players/teams" decide on the parameters like Tech, NOs, and version (41 or 42 in AA50) through simple agreement or split parameters and roll for the 3rd.

Ex. If no agreement is made between the parameters, teams roll- highest roll chooses to decide on one of the 2 parameters (3 in AA50 since you have 2 versions). Lets say one team rolls higher and chooses to have Tech in the game, the other team will choose whether or not to have NOs (In AA50 teams will roll again to have preference for the version 41 or 42 if they don't agree).

I have seen quite a bit of great games with NOs and Tech options. Taking one or both of these options away from the game really dries up the experience of the game espeacially in the AA40 games and AA50.

If you decide to take away these options, take away only the Tech as most can play without these. FTF and Online players agree and games prove it here but vastly dissagree when it comes to keeping NOs and choosing between 41 and 42 (AA50)

Questioneer
questioneer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SwampHQ on Fri 22 Jan 2010, 19:49

QUestioneer,

Thanks again for the comments. Well appreciated...

I still strongly agree that you should let the "players/teams" decide
on the parameters like Tech, NOs, and version (41 or 42 in AA50)
through simple agreement or split parameters and roll for the 3rd.

Ex.
If no agreement is made between the parameters, teams roll- highest
roll chooses to decide on one of the 2 parameters (3 in AA50 since you
have 2 versions). Lets say one team rolls higher and chooses to have
Tech in the game, the other team will choose whether or not to have NOs
(In AA50 teams will roll again to have preference for the version 41 or
42 if they don't agree).
I do not agree with this. I know what you are trying to get to here Questioneer, but I don't think letting two people that come to a table to determine under what format ones play is a good idea. You would have every different type of games being played and I don't see any benifit in that especially in this arena. Yope mentioned that he plans on doing this at his event, to let the players when they show up, determine what game to play...that, IMO, will only lead to chaos...then again, if one likes chaos, then go for it...

Your really need to have a set parameter that everyone knows before entering play. Either techs or not techs. NO's, limited NO's and which ones or no NO's...

That is the way I see it...

Peace,
Greg Smorey
Axis & Allies Tournament GM - GEN CON/Origins
SwampHQ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by questioneer on Tue 26 Jan 2010, 12:58

SwampHQ wrote:QUestioneer,

Thanks again for the comments. Well appreciated...

I still strongly agree that you should let the "players/teams" decide
on the parameters like Tech, NOs, and version (41 or 42 in AA50)
through simple agreement or split parameters and roll for the 3rd.

Ex.
If no agreement is made between the parameters, teams roll- highest
roll chooses to decide on one of the 2 parameters (3 in AA50 since you
have 2 versions). Lets say one team rolls higher and chooses to have
Tech in the game, the other team will choose whether or not to have NOs
(In AA50 teams will roll again to have preference for the version 41 or
42 if they don't agree).
I do not agree with this. I know what you are trying to get to here Questioneer, but I don't think letting two people that come to a table to determine under what format ones play is a good idea. You would have every different type of games being played and I don't see any benifit in that especially in this arena. Yope mentioned that he plans on doing this at his event, to let the players when they show up, determine what game to play...that, IMO, will only lead to chaos...then again, if one likes chaos, then go for it...

Your really need to have a set parameter that everyone knows before entering play. Either techs or not techs. NO's, limited NO's and which ones or no NO's...

That is the way I see it...

Peace,
Greg Smorey
Axis & Allies Tournament GM - GEN CON/Origins

Understandable, I just think that if you have to set the 42 version over the 41 I can live with that. Also, setting no tech in ANY of these games is something I can live with also.

Getting rid of the NOs in the AA50 and AA40 games is a big mistake though. I've played without these a couple of times and the games seems really dry w/o them.

I think I've stated my case for NOs last year. Wouldn't mind talking about that again in the open forum. What are your pros and cons to having NOs in the tournys??? We should make a poll and vote on it.

I believe most people want these in the AA50 and AA40 game tournys, but I could be wrong. Online, most people agree to have NO Tech (although they do have Tech tournys) but keep the NOs. No one ever plays NO Tech AND NO Nat. Obj.- very boring

Then again, in the AA40 games, the NOs are NOT optional- so I guess you gotta stick with the rulebook eh???
questioneer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoper on Tue 09 Feb 2010, 16:43

SwampHQ wrote: Yope mentioned that he plans on doing this at his event, to let the players when they show up, determine what game to play...that, IMO, will only lead to chaos...then again, if one likes chaos, then go for it...

Understand that I am only talking about allowing players to choose between Revised (which is the default game) and the AA42 version.

These games are very similar from the standpoint of the map. As such I can use my scoring system for both and still combine players scores for advancement purposes.

This has nothing to do with that which questioneer is bringing up. He is talking about the various ways to play the AA50 game. That has nothing to do with the "chaos" that I am choosing to deal with.

I agree with Greg that you need to set some pretty straight forward conditions when running a tournament. Allowing that kind of wide swing of conditions within the event would cause much more trouble than it would be worth.

Can you imagine how long and drawn out that bidding (i.e. haggling/whining/bitching) process would be? What a nightmare!
Yoper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by questioneer on Mon 22 Feb 2010, 11:13

Yes, I understand from a GM standpoint it would be kind of a pain. From a player standpoint, I just think it dries the game out. With this I mean, the exclusion of NOs from the AA50 and AA40 games- not the Tech.

Playing w/o Tech is fine, playing w/o NOs is dry- might as well just play the base game (AA42) or Classic .

The 41/42 debate is another topic. With NOs- 41 plays more even as proven through hundreds of games online. However, 42- WITHOUT NOs may play even also, so you may have made the right call here too- I just think its dry w/o the NOs. I do know for sure that 42- WITH NOs is very unbalanced. That's why many people stopped playing it online.

Greg, since the AAP40 rulebook (and probably the AAE40/Global Game will also) states that the NOs are NOT optional, you would then keep them for the tournys right??? I hope so, wouldn't want you to contradict yourself about "sticking to the base rules for tournys".
questioneer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top