GEN CON 2010 Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GEN CON 2010 Questions

Post by SwampHQ on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 12:30

Greetings,

Listed are some questions asked by gamers that will be first timers at GEN CON this year and I just thought I might share some of those thoughts with you. And if you would be so inclined to kindly respond, that would be well appriciated.

1. I only have experience with the "world" game. Is this enough
background
to sit in on any of the other A&A offshoot games you guys are
hosting? Guadalcanal? Bulge?

2. The tournament says that no
supplies are provided - Are we expected to
cart a large box full of A&A pieces around a convention hall to
play? I don't think that would be practical?

3. Also, based on
the registration of E40 you are supposed to bring a copy of the game.
That won't happen. I will be supplying yinz with games...

Game duration for ALL my events should be listed in the registration
book as 2 hours. What they don't tell you is that is the minimum time
frame I am required as a GM to give anyone, signing up for a game, to
play in that particular event. Most games last between 4-8 hours in the
AA area.

That is it for now...

Peace,

Greg Smorey
Axis & Allies EO/GM - ORIGINS/GENCON/SPRING GATHERING
http://www.headlesshorseman2.com/
A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. - General George S. Patton
SwampHQ
Admin

View user profile http://aaswampform.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Re: GEN CON 2010 Questions

Post by BushidoBlitz on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 11:30

SwampHQ wrote:1. I only have experience with the "world" game. Is this enough background to sit in on any of the other A&A offshoot games you guys are hosting? Guadalcanal? Bulge?
The combat system of Classic, Revised, Anniversary, 1942, and Pacific 1940 games is basically the same. There are differences in attack/defense values, unit IPC cost, and movement rules between these version, some significant, but I think you could be taught them in less than 5 minutes and be good to play.
Even D-Day has a similar system, although each combat is limited to one round, and no more than 8 units per territory is allowed. But Bulge and Guadalcanal have unique combat systems, wherein you have much less control over which of your defending units live or die. That will take some explanation and getting used to.

SwampHQ wrote:2. The tournament says that no supplies are provided - Are we expected to cart a large box full of A&A pieces around a convention hall to play? I don't think that would be practical?
Yes, you are. For the tournament organizer to supply enough games of all the variants for everyone who wants to play to play would be totally unmanageable. Ideally your hotel is within walking distance and you can leave most of your games back there, bringing each day just the ones you plan to play. Put your food and drink supplies in a backpack carried on your back, freeing up two hands to carry your game(s). If you play in other events besides A&A, there's usually room on the table or floor to store your game for the duration of that event.

If your hotel is not within walking distance, then store your games in the trunk of your car, which you'll park nearby. Bring in just the game you need. When you need to, walk out to your car and swap games.

I've worked these logistics both ways, and they both work out just fine. You will get some exercise, but that's a good thing!

BushidoBlitz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top